Enter Our Japan-Themed Painting & Drawing Competition
This summer, join us in celebrating 100 years of Japanese heritage brand, Sakura. A trailblazing company that has fuelled creativity with their pens, paper and more since 1921.
We want to see your most creative use of line and wash!
What is the Sakura Competition?
Pegasus Art are joining international celebrations of the centenary of Japanese heritage brand Sakura, by running an exciting painting and drawing competition to win the following:
- 1st Prize: Limited Edition Sakura Koi Watercolour Set worth £100
- 2nd Prize: A place on one of Max Hale's themed Japanese Day Workshops worth £80
- 3rd Prize: £50 Sakura product bundle including a set of Black & Gold Limited Edition Pigma Micron 3 Fineliners Set and Sakura sketchbook 12 x 12 in creme paper with 80 sheets
Your entries will be judged by multi-award-winning artist Max Hale, UK ambassador for Royal Talens who manufacture famous paint brands such as Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Cobra. Sakura are not just their parent company but enjoy European distribution through them.
The theme for the competition will be 'Japan'.
"I am looking for a creative approach to entries" says Max, "I've purposely set the theme to be wide giving huge potential to artists. I will be keen to see work driven by creativity. Using viewpoint, colour, great composition and perhaps an unusual interpretation of the subject without losing the theme." He added, "taking time to consider your subject will likely get your work noticed."
The competition is open from 9:00am on 1st July 2021 until midnight on 30th September 2021.
Winners will be announced on Friday 1st October 2021.
How to Enter:
1. Create Your Painting or Drawing
Style: Most creative use of line and wash - this can include any medium
2. Submit on Facebook or Instagram with #SakuraCompetition
Upload as many pictures of your paintings and drawings as you would like, to either:
Using the hashtag #SakuraCompetition
Other Ways to Get Involved in Sakura 100 Years
Taking the Japanese theme and running with it, we have devised a summer of activities to highlight the brand and its products. Book a Japanese themed workshop, enter our competition and enjoy a free tutorial by Max Hale on his YouTube channel exploring the ink line and wash technique for which the Japanese are famous. Follow @maxhaleart and @PegasusArtShop on social media for the next few months as we share some of the amazing competition entries, IGTV films, art material snippets, new products and more.
- Day Workshop – Japanese Gardens in Pen & Wash – 30th October – 10am – 4pm £80 - Book Here
- Day Workshop – Culture & History of Japan in Ink & Wash – 4th December – 10am – 4pm £80 - Book Here
- Online Pen & Ink Lesson with Max Hale - Via YouTube
- Read our fascinating blog 'A history of Sakura and Japanese art materials'
Plus: Win a Trip to Tokyo!
Royal Talens are running their international competition – find out more about it and enter here.
Competition Terms & Conditions
- To enter the competition entrants must upload a photo of their artwork to Instagram or Facebook.
- Participants must tag @MaxHaleArt and/or @PegasusArtShop and use the hastag #SakuraCompetition in their caption.
- The work should be Japan-themed.
- Entries can be made between 9:00am on 1st July 2021 until 11:59pm on 30th September 2021 only.
- Our judge, Max Hale, will choose three winning entries – 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize. First prize is a Koi watercolour set worth £100, second prize is a place on one of Max Hale’s Japanese themed day workshops worth £80, third prize is a £50 bundle of Sakura products including a sketchbook and set of three Pigma Micron fineliners.
- The winners will be selected on Friday 1st October 2021. Our judges decision will be final. All winners will be contacted via social media and their goods will be posted by Royal Mail.