Five tips for looking after your brushes
Whatever your preferred medium, your paint brushes are your most important tool. Look after them and they should last for years! Here are our top five tips for brush longevity:
- Get into the habit of checking them regularly and wash them well after each painting session
- Oil brushes that have been cleaned with turps or Zest-It should be washed out in warm soapy water using olive oil soap or a specialist brush soap. Watercolour and acrylic brushes should also be gently washed in warm soapy water
- Pay particular attention to the point where the brush hairs meet the ferrule – paint can clog here and force the bristles out of shape.
- Once your brushes are clean, rinse them well and re-shape whilst still wet
- Leave your brushes to dry, bristles up, until you need them again
If disaster has struck, and you left your brushes to congeal in the paint, then all is not lost – you can try the Incredible Brush Cleaner from Chroma, (£9.45) which claims to bring even the crustiest brush back to life!
Pegasus Art is an independent art materials supplier selling the finest art materials since 2005. All our staff are practising artists and are here to help answer any of your questions. If we don’t know the answer, we will find out! Call us on 01453 88650 or get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org