20th June Travelling Sketchbook,En Plein Air & Booksigning with Barry Herniman
Travelling Sketchbook, An en plein air watercolour workshop + book signing
with Barry Herniman
Saturday 20th June 2020
10am – 4pm in Studio One and on the Stroudwater Canal
All abilities welcome
Kindly sponsored by Schmincke Finest Artists’ colours
We are thrilled to welcome Barry Herniman, a very accomplished painter and teacher, to lead this plein air watercolour workshop. A popular demonstrator at Patchings Art Festival, he is also an ambassador for Schmincke watercolour products, which we sell here at Pegasus Art.
Barry will share all his top tips and techniques for creating really dynamic paintings full of light and shadow. The day will start with a brief introduction in Studio One with some quick 'warm up ' exercises before heading out to the nearby Stroudwater Canal (5 – 7 minute easy walk). Barry is very experienced and has taught painting holidays abroad and spends a great deal of time painting outdoors. He will help you find a suitable spot, guide you in composition, colour mixing and how to tackle ‘all that green’. His beautiful book, ‘The Travelling Sketchbook’ is full of delightful paintings of canal scenes and more exotic locations, available to buy for £20 (retails at £35) on the day. If you’re a novice, amateur or more professional artist, wanting to work closely with an expert in this medium, this will be a fabulous day. The aim of the day is to ‘have a go’!
‘I am a full time artist and have been painting landscapes and seascapes for many years both in the studio and en plein air with my trusty sketchbooks. My favourite medium is watercolour, its immediacy and transparency is hard to beat and I never tire of watching the colours mix and mingle on the paper. Landscapes are my first love but I am at home painting anything from portraits to steam locos. I travel extensively both home and abroad doing demonstrations and workshops to Art Clubs and Societies. I am also an author of Travelling Sketchbook and Successful and Creative Washes. www.barryherniman.com
All students will need to bring in the following:
-Some small pieces of watercolour paper for the initial exercises.
- A piece of watercolour paper, preferably not less than 140lb and either NOT or Rough depending on your personal preference and not less than 1/4 sheet ( 15 x 11") Please tape your sheet to a board. I use Saunders Waterford and Hahnemuhle 'Andalucia'
For example: https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/saunders-waterford-sheet-paper-190-gsm-not-56x76cms.ir
- If you would like to invest in a block of watercolour paper, I recommend Hahnemuhle ‘Andalucia’
- Bring a watercolour sketchbook for the day. I recommend Hahnemuhle A5 landscape https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/hahnemuhle-watercolour-hardback-book-a5-landscape-200gsm.ir or https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/seawhite-art-sketchbook-jumbo-square-hardback.ir
- 2B Pencil
- A palette with deep wells to carry sufficient colour mixes. There is a selection at Pegasus including this one for £7.65: https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/buddy-cup-palette-with-12-x-10ml-containers.ir
- Schmincke Horadam watercolours. There will be samples for you to try on the day.
Recommended colours: Pure yellow, Aureolin, Indian Yellow, Rose Madder, Madder Red Dark, Madder Brown, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine finest, Helio Turquoise and Manganese Violet.
- Barry recommends that pigments are transparent or semi-transparent. If you're not sure bring all your colours along and he will go through them with you.
- Brushes – Barry uses Da Vinci Cosmotops Round – they are a synthetic/sable mix and hold bags of water and come to a great point. Recommended sizes ~ 12,8, 6 and 4 and a few riggers no’s 4 and 2. These are just a guide. https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/da-vinci-series-5580-cosmotop-spin-synthetic-brushes-round.ir
- Whilst in the studio, we will work on tables. When outdoors, you are welcome to bring a lightweight camping chair or painting stool. Please also bring wet weather gear and comfortable shoes / boots. We can supply boards to paint on.
- Spray diffuser bottle to keep the paints moist.
- If you would like to bring or buy some Derwent Inktense watersoluble ink pencils, they are highly recommended for sketching. https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/derwent-inktense-pencils-set-of-12.ir
- A packed lunch – there is no café at Griffin Mill
All workshop attendees receive an extra 5% off art materials from our extensive shop next to Studio One.
The shop is open from 9am, so please do come before the workshop to purchase what you need.
Please take care to check our Terms & Conditions in relation to our cancellation policy:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
In light of the current situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19) we are temporarily closing the physical shop from Saturday 21st March. We are still operating online and telephone orders and will continue to send out art supplies to you during this time.
Free UK Mainland delviery on small packet items under £50.
Free UK Mainland delivery on orders over £50.
Telephone: 01453 886 560 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read further details and keep up to date with our temporary changes here.
Free UK Mainland delivery on small packet items under £50.
Free UK Mainland delivery on orders over £50.
Delivery is charged as priced on each order (*International delivery exceptions apply).
Standard Delivery: We aim to process and dispatch orders within two days. However at peak times this may not always be possible so please allow 3-5 days for processing.
If you are unavailable when our delivery partner tries to deliver your order, they will usually try to deliver again the next working day or they will drop a card in to offer you a collection from a local collection point. If you should refuse delivery of goods, or are not available to accept the delivery on both delivery attempts, you will be required to cover any extra costs incurred.
See full delivery information and pricing here.
We hope you are very happy with every purchase from Pegasus Art however if you are not entirely satisfied we are here to help.
Please contact us by phone or email on email@example.com. This is so one of our staff can determine whether you would like to return the product for a refund or exchange the product.
You have 28 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. Your item must be in the original packaging.
Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
Once we have received your item and inspected it we will contact you.
If your return is approved, we will initiate an immediate exchange or refund to your credit card (or original method of payment). You will receive the credit within a certain amount of days, depending on your card issuer's policies.
Products returned by you because of a defect will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us.
Products returned by you within the seven-day cooling-off period will be refunded in full, including the cost of sending the item to you. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us.
If you have any questions on how to return your item to us, contact us.