15th Oct Expressive Portrait Painting(Oils/Acrylics) from Photographs with Mark Fennell
Expressive Portrait Painting in Oils or Acrylics (from photographs)
Saturday 15th October 2022
with Mark Fennell
10am – 4pm
This is a great painting course for beginners or intermediate levels, if you are looking to try a portrait for the first time or improve your portrait painting skills.
Mark will demonstrate and guide you through his well structured approach to painting a portrait. Breaking it down into easy to follow steps that will cover everything from the colour palette and mixing flesh tones to working tonally, initially blocking in shape and form to construct the head through to the finer details to create a good likeness. Over the the day you will be working from good quality reference photographs that will be supplied or alternatively you can bring your own references to paint from but they will need to be
very good quality A4 images.
Mark Fennell is a professional portrait painter who works to commission from his home studio in the hill top village of Brill in Buckinghamshire. He works predominantly in oils, notable sitters include Antony Worrall Thompson, John Hood, Lord Mayor of Birmingham and singer - songwriter John Otway. His work has been selected for exhibition with The Royal Society of Portrait Painters and The Royal Society of British Artists at the Mall galleries London. As well as portraiture, Mark also enjoys the challenge of painting outdoors, working at speed to capture the fleeting effects of light over landscape. Mark was elected member of The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists in 2007. He is also a member of Oxford Art Society and Buckinghamshire Art Society. Mark runs workshops and demonstrations for art groups and societies across the UK and occasionally in Portugal and the costa Blanca in Spain.
Awarded The Winsor and Newton painting prize for his self portrait 'The diagnosis' at The Royal Society of British Artists annual exhibition 2020. Selected for The Artist and Leisure Painter magazine competition at Patchings festival open art exhibition, 2014 and 2018. Awarded The Artists and Illustrators Artist of the Year West Design prize, Peoples Choice Award 2012 for his portrait of 2nd world war veteran Len Nixey and also shortlisted for A&I Artist of the Year in 2019. Awarded The Clairefontaine Award at the 2021 The Artist and Leisure Painters Open exhibition.
His self portrait was shortlisted out of nearly 10,000 entries for the Daily Mail ‘Not the Turner Prize’ and exhibited at The Mall Galleries, London in 2005. Featured on ITV’s ‘A Brush With Fame’ in 2005, portrait of Antony Worrall Thompson was chosen as his favourite. www.markfennell.co.uk
Recommended materials list
- One pre-primed and grounded canvases or boards, no deep canvases please, as photo refs can’t be clipped to the side of them. Pre ground your canvas with a thin wash of acrylic or oil paint made up of burnt sienna lightened down to a light to mid tan with titanium white, must be dry on the day. Minimum size approx. 12” x 16” such as https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/loxley-gold-stretched-canvas-traditional-standard.ir If you would like Pegasus to prepare you a canvas for this course please order yours upon booking. A traditional stretched canvas costs £10.40 and the preparation cost is an additional £2.50.
- 2x long handled short flat hog brushes sizes 4 and 10 https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/da-vinci-series-5123-maestro-2-bright-short-flat-brushes-hog-bristle.ir
(no water colour/sable brushes)
- Palette knives - minimum requirement Winsor and newton sizes 20, 30 and 21 or similar. Good quality/springy not stiff knives please, RGM palette knives are nice and springy, (no plastic knives). https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/palette-knives-set-5-assorted-stainless-steel-birchwood-handles.ir
- Zest-It oil paint dilutant or similar low odour thinners and a dipper pot. Also a good size jar or similar and enough low odour thinners to clean brushes. https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/zest-it-oil-paint-dilutant-brush-cleaner-eco-solvent.ir
- A couple of kitchen rolls to clean paint from knives and brushes.
- Good size flat mixing palette (no plates or paper palettes please) https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/cappelletto-walnut-palette-30x40cm-rectangle.ir
- Preferably a stay wet palette and fine mist water sprayer for acrylic painters.
- Oil colours as follows - titanium white, naples yellow (optional), cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red, alizarine crimson, burnt umber, french ultramarine and ivory black is optional. https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/painting-oil-paints.irc
- A good size jar/pot for enough low odour thinners to clean brushes, cloths or a couple of kitchen rolls.
-Please ensure you bring a carrier for taking home your wet painting.
A packed lunch, flask of tea or coffee and plenty of water. Due to current Covid restrictions, we will not be offering tea or coffee. Please bring your own drinks and packed lunch with you.
You don’t need to bring an easel, chair or board as these are all supplied by Pegasus Art.
Anything you don’t already have can be bought in our shop with an extra 5% off on the day.
Please take care to check our Terms & Conditions in relation to our cancellation policy:
Free UK Mainland delivery on orders over £50*
*except 275cm and 300cm stretcher bars.
Read further details and keep up to date with our temporary changes here.
Delivery is charged as priced on each order (International delivery exceptions apply).
Standard Delivery: We aim to process and dispatch orders within two days. However at peak order times this may not always be possible so please allow 3-5 days for processing.
If you are unavailable when our delivery partner tries to deliver your order, they will usually try to deliver again the next working day or they will drop a card in to offer you a collection from a local collection point. If you should refuse delivery of goods, or are not available to accept the delivery on both delivery attempts, you will be required to cover any extra costs incurred.
Click and Collect Available
Click and collect is available at our Stroud shop. Please await our confirmation email before collecting. Proof of order required to pick up goods.
See full delivery information and pricing here.
We hope you are very happy with every purchase from Pegasus Art however if you are not entirely satisfied we are here to help.
Please contact us by phone or email on email@example.com. This is so one of our staff can determine whether you would like to return the product for a refund or exchange the product.
You have 28 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. Your item must be in the original packaging.
Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
Once we have received your item and inspected it we will contact you.
If your return is approved, we will initiate an immediate exchange or refund to your credit card (or original method of payment). You will receive the credit within a certain amount of days, depending on your card issuer's policies.
Products returned by you because of a defect will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us.
Products returned by you within the seven-day cooling-off period will be refunded in full, including the cost of sending the item to you. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us.
If you have any questions on how to return your item to us, contact us.