14th May Pet Portraits in Oil with Lucy Burton
Pet Portraits in Oil with Lucy Burton
Saturday 14th May 2022
10am – 4pm Attic Studio
All abilities welcome – improver, intermediate or advanced
We are delighted to introduce new tutor Lucy Burton who will be teaching you how to paint a portrait of your pet in oils. Together you will work through a stage-by-stage process to create a portrait in oils - using an ‘islands to oceans’ method of working. We are aiming to make the eyes come alive and give the animal and your painting lots of personality! Lucy hopes to inspire you with some new ideas and techniques to take away with you and apply to your own work.
You will be working from your own image, either from an I-pad OR you can use a photograph at least 5” x 5”. The animal’s eyes must be clear and in focus. Crop your image so that it is square. The head of the animal should take up most of the frame. The better the reference image – the better the painting! Techniques covered include composition, tonal grounds, colour mixing, alla prima and brushwork.
“I’d describe myself as a creative all-rounder! I have a degree in ‘Industrial Design & Technology’ and paint regularly ‘alla prima’ in oil paint, always aiming to produce a piece of art that is full of character and colour. A good composition and the freedom to experiment with colour and interesting brush marks is what inspires me most and it’s what I enjoy teaching others. I’ve exhibited in ‘Warwickshire Open Studios’ and taken part in ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ as a wildcard artist.” www.lucyburtonart.com
Recommended Equipment List
The shop will be open from 9am, so you will have time to purchase materials before the workshop.
-Please bring a photograph of your animal or an image on an ipad or table. It should be high quality, square if possible with the dog taking up the central point of the image.
- Also bring a black and white print out, square cropped image as large as you can get it (A4 ideally) like this:
- An 8” x 8” gessoboard (Pegasus have a 12” x 9” board like this https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/ampersand-gessobord-oils-acrylics-18-3mm-panels.ir )
- A selection of synthetic brushes. I like to use a ¼”, ½” or ¾” short flat, filbert size 2 and a round size 1. You can browse our brushes online here: https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/painting-brushes.irc
- A palette knife size 22 or similar: https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/equipment-accessories-palette-knives.irc
- Oil colours as follows: Titanium White, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Alizarine Crimson, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine, Phthalo Blue. If you have any other colours, please bring them with you. Popular brands include Cranfield Studio https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/brands-cranfield.irc or Artist oils or Michael Harding https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/brands-michael-harding.irc Or you could buy a starter set.
- Liquin painting medium https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/winsor-newton-liquin-original.ir
- A flat mixing palette https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/cappelletto-walnut-palette-20x30cm-rectangle.ir
- Or a tear off palette https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/dalerrowney-a4-tear-off-palette-pad-40-sheets.ir
-A pencil and a ruler
- Something to take your 8” x 8” board home
- A jam jar and some Zest It for cleaning your brushes https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/zest-it-acrylic-brush-cleaner-reviver-125ml.ir
- Plenty of rags or kitchen roll
A packed lunch and water – there is no café at Griffin Mill. Due to current Covid restrictions, we will not be offering tea or coffee.
All attendees receive 5% off in our shop adjacent to Studio One at Pegasus Art.
Please take care to check our Terms & Conditions in relation to our cancellation policy:
Free UK Mainland delivery on orders over £50*
*except 275cm and 300cm stretcher bars.
Read further details and keep up to date with our temporary changes here.
Delivery is charged as priced on each order (International delivery exceptions apply).
Standard Delivery: We aim to process and dispatch orders within two days. However at peak order times this may not always be possible so please allow 3-5 days for processing.
If you are unavailable when our delivery partner tries to deliver your order, they will usually try to deliver again the next working day or they will drop a card in to offer you a collection from a local collection point. If you should refuse delivery of goods, or are not available to accept the delivery on both delivery attempts, you will be required to cover any extra costs incurred.
Click and Collect Available
Click and collect is available at our Stroud shop. Please await our confirmation email before collecting. Proof of order required to pick up goods.
See full delivery information and pricing here.
We hope you are very happy with every purchase from Pegasus Art however if you are not entirely satisfied we are here to help.
Please contact us by phone or email on firstname.lastname@example.org. This is so one of our staff can determine whether you would like to return the product for a refund or exchange the product.
You have 28 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. Your item must be in the original packaging.
Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
Once we have received your item and inspected it we will contact you.
If your return is approved, we will initiate an immediate exchange or refund to your credit card (or original method of payment). You will receive the credit within a certain amount of days, depending on your card issuer's policies.
Products returned by you because of a defect will be refunded in full, including a refund of the delivery charges for sending the item to you and the cost incurred by you in returning the item to us.
Products returned by you within the seven-day cooling-off period will be refunded in full, including the cost of sending the item to you. However, you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to us.
If you have any questions on how to return your item to us, contact us.